Uploading a Site Map To Your Website
Do you really need to add a Sitemap to your website? While the importance of doing so can be debated, and nothing will replace well thought out navigation between the pages of your site, adding a Sitemap helps to make those pages easier to find for a search engine by explicitly identifying the complete URLs for each page. To add a Site Map to your website, please take a look at the following steps provided below...
Creating An XML Sitemap
Before you can add a sitemap to your website, you'll need to create that sitemap. A quick Google search will turn up a number of free sitemap generators that are available online, with one in particular being https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/. The steps below go over how to create a sitemap using that service...
- Go to https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/ to get started.
- Enter the URL for your website in the field provided, followed by Start.
- Once complete, click the View Sitemap Details button to view details of the sitemap.
- Click the Download Your XML Sitemap button to down the sitemap.xml file to your computer.
Uploading The Sitemap To Your Site
- Login to your WebStarts account and toggle to the dashboard for the website in question.
- Hover your mouse over the image of the website and click the Settings icon at the bottom/right.
- Click the Upload button next to the Sitemap option, browse for the sitemap.xml file on your computer and double click to upload.
You should see a confirmation message indicating the upload was successful.
NOTE: The file name for your sitemap MUST be sitemap.xml. This is the only acceptable file name and any others will be ignored by the tools used to verify you have one. For example, sitemap(2).xml is not an acceptable file name for your sitemap. It must be sitemap.xml and sitemap.xml only.