Moving An Existing Website To Your Designer Platform
If you have been using WebStarts for your own websites prior to becoming a Designer, chances are you have a site or two that you would like moved and managed under your Designer Platform dashboard, unlocking all of the benefits that come with it. The process to do so is pretty straight forward, but there are a few important steps to follow to ensure it goes smooth. Check out the video and steps that follow below to see how you can move your sites to your Designer Platform dashboard...
Create A Template For Your Site
The first thing you'll need to do is create a Template of the site you are looking to move. This will be used when creating the new Client in the Designer dashboard.
- From your account dashboard, click the Designer Platform tab found in the drop down located in the upper right corner of the page.
- Click the Templates tab from the top navigation bar.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the blue Build A Template button.
- Give the Template a Name that you will be able to identify the site with later.
- Choose the site you wish to copy from the Site to Copy drop down.
- Select a category from the Categories drop down.
- Note: What is chosen here is not really important for this use case.
- Mark the No radio button to make sure that the Template is not set to Public.
- Once properly filled out, click the Create button to complete the template creation process
- Note: The time it takes to create the template varies depending on the site of the website.
Create A New Client
Once you have the site backed up as a Template, you'll now want to create a new Client in the Designer Dashboard using that Template.
- From the Designer Platform dashboard, click the Clients tab located at the top of the page.
- Click the Add New Client button to create the new client.
- Enter the First and Last Name of the new client. You can use your own name if this is your own personal website.
- Enter the email address for the new client. This email is what is used to allow the client to login and will need to be a different email than the email used for your own account.
- Enter a new Site Title for the site. This will have to be something different than what was used for the primary website. If you're moving a domain name over as well, this name is not going to play much of a role once that domain name has moved as well.
- Click the Next button to continue...
- Choose the Start with Template option when asked how you would like to create your website.
- On the Choose a design page, click the My Templates tab located in the left hand side bar.
- Once loaded, locate the Template of your site created in the previous step and click the Select button to choose it.
Your new client and site should be available to edit and view. Be sure to go over the live pages to make sure it's in tact before proceeding to move your domain over or terminate the old site. Note: If the site you moved over was a paid site or had a domain name associated with it, you will need to reach out to the WebStarts support team to have the billing for the sites moved over. This will need to be done before your domain name can be moved.
Move The Domain To The New Site
If your site had a domain name associated with it, that domain will now need to be moved over to the new site created in the Designer Platform. Before this can happen however, you will need to reach out to the WebStarts support team to have the billing for the site moved over.
- From the Designer Platform dashboard, click the Domains tab located at the top of the page.
- Click the Edit icon next to the domain name you wish to move.
- Using the Point To Site drop down, choose the new site which you would like to move the domain name to.
- Click the Save button to complete the move.
Moving the domain is instant, but it may take a few moments for the domain to resolve to the new site. Be sure to give it a little time before making any changes or terminating the old site.